Ray went over the breadth of product offerings within the Drools Umbrella -
- Drools Expert(the Rule engine)
- Drools Guvnor(Rules Hosting/Management)
- Drools Fusion(Complex Event Processing)
- Drools Planner(Planning)
- Drools Flow(Process Flow)
All these product offerings is together referred to as the "Drools Business Logic Integration Platform".
I had gone into the meeting with the mistaken assumption that Drools is just a rule engine and came out a little wiser.
Some notes that I have from the meeting are the following:
- Ray has hosted the presentation, samples at this location - http://bit.ly/cjug-drools-2011
- Drools Flow is being merged into jBPM5 - with support for Graphical process flows tightly integrated with Drools Expert.
- Rules and other artifacts can be versioned within Guvnor - internally it uses JCR as the API for versioning with Jack Rabbit as the implementation
- Java code can implement a pull based model, to pull in rules from Guvnor - at a specified schedule pull in the latest rules from Guvnor, thus reflecting the rule changes without needing to restart application
- Drools Expert uses a MVEL dialect to express the condition(LHS) part of the rule
- One of the largest Drools users has Million and a half rules defined!
PS: E-gineering hosted this meeting at their great new office location.